Flu You! COVID-19
Updated: Mar 26
All around us is the fear of flu? How can we stay healthy?
This year there is a tough battle against the flu. Even with a progressive flu shot many have found themselves with unexpected health obstacles and with the invasion of the COVID-19 Virus we are overwhelmed and confused about proper self-care and quarantine management. We now spend a lot of time washing our hands and taking precautions to ward away germs but often we forget to pay attention to what happens from the inside out.
1) Don’t Pick! We touch our face, lips, eyes and nose at least thirty times in less than a minute. The most important thing is to not bring germs from the outside in. Stand at attention or better yet "Jazz Hands!" Pretend you’re a Tyrannosaurus - elbows at your side until you decide what to touch?
2) Drink Me! The easiest way for an infection to travel through your system is on the fast track. Stay hydrated and a cold or flu doesn’t have a chance of sticking with you. Clear tea or broth is your best friend! (The video attached has a wonderful soup recipe!)
3) Boil, boil toil and trouble! Diet becomes essential in helping you achieve a speedy recovery but softer foods are comforting and enhance healing. The heat from the broth helps cure congestion, while the fat in the broth helps cure a sore throat.
4) Sleep! Even if you are not a person who can nap or feels comfortable sleeping the the middle of a day, just allowing yourself to close your eyes for twenty minutes will revive your immune system. If you can get to bed an hour earlier and just huddle in your pillows you are still giving your body a boost. One hour of intended sleep (even before full REM) will create rejuvenation in the immune system.
5) Go for a walk! Moderate exercise repeated on a daily basis enhances immunity. Know yourself. Do not push the limits but do not forgo boosting aspects of exercise. Do not compromise the system but help it reboot and revamp.
There is no guarantee you will avoid the virus but some of these basic principles could help how fiercely you are impacted by complications.